The Music and Life of Fannie Lou Hamer
The Music and Life of Fannie Lou Hamer
About The Show
February 20-March 3 | Previews February 16, 17, 19
Rolling World Premiere in Association with Goodman Theatre and Seattle Rep
By Cheryl L. West
Directed by Henry Godinez
Music Direction and Arrangements by Felton Offard
Part theater, part revival, and all power – this one-woman show with music will have you head nodding and hand clapping from start to finish. Written by award-winning playwright Cheryl L. West and portrayed by powerhouse performer E. Faye Butler, Fannie tells the story of civil rights icon Fannie Lou Hamer. From her humble origins as the daughter of a Mississippi sharecropper, to co-founding the Mississippi Freedom Democratic Party and demanding recognition at the National Democratic Convention, hers is a story of justice that will not be denied.
Audiences are advised that this show faithfully depicts the life of Fannie Lou Hamer including themes of racial and gender prejudice, physical and sexual violence, and charged historical imagery. Recommended for Ages 14+
Patron Health and Safety Protocols Asolo Rep Outdoor Performances
- Asolo Rep will require all patrons, volunteers, and staff to wear face coverings at all times within the performance venue. We ask that your face covering remain on completely covering mouth and nose throughout the performance and until you exit the venue.
- Upon arrival, all patrons, staff, and volunteers will have their temperature checked with a non-contact infrared thermometer.
- Patrons with a temperature of 100.4 or higher will not be permitted to enter the space.
Arrival & Ticketing
- Ticket sales will be cut off two hours prior to all performances. Walk-up tickets will not be available.
- Asolo Rep is instituting touchless ticket entry to prevent any physical contact. Print-at-home tickets will be issued which can also be scanned from your phone. There will also be box-office tables available for check-in.
- There is one point of entry into the performance space, which is wheelchair accessible.
- There will be no physical playbills. Playbill information will be projected on large stage screens for audience viewing and will also be available for digital download on Asolo Rep’s website and sent via email to ticket holders.
- No concessions will be available for purchase and food and drink are not allowed inside the seating area.
Seating & Performance
- Seating capacity of the outdoor stage is 250 seats (the capacity for Laura Osnes in Concert has been increased to 268). Seats are arranged in groups of two and socially distanced for patron and staff safety. The stage area is twelve feet from the front row of seats.
- Asolo Rep staff will begin seating patrons 45 minutes prior to show time.
- Patrons are asked to refrain from congregating in public areas and to remain seated prior to and during the performance.
- Everyone must maintain a 6-foot distance from anyone not in their party at all times.
- “Blanket Seating” is located in the grassy area near the parking lot. Patrons purchasing tickets in that area must bring their own blankets. Lawn chairs are not allowed.
- Performances will be approximately 70 minutes in length, performed without an intermission.
- Portable restrooms will be provided for patrons use.
- If a performance is cancelled or abandoned mid-way due to weather, patrons may either exchange their ticket for another performance or receive a refund. While rain can come and go very quickly in our area, Asolo Rep will make every attempt to present each performance even if rain is in the forecast.
- In the event that Asolo Rep cancels a performance due to imminent bad weather earlier in the day, the cancellation will be posted on our website and we will make every effort to contact ticket-holders.
- Shows lasting more than 40 minutes are considered complete performances. Shows lasting less than 40 minutes are considered "rained out."
- Even in Florida, evening temperatures can be on the cool side. For your own comfort, we suggest wearing layers of clothing and bringing blankets, hats and gloves. There will not be any outside heaters.
Asolo Rep Announces Full Casting for HAIRAsolo Repertory Theatre proudly kicks off its 2021-2022 season with the thrilling rock musical that started it all – HAIR.
Asolo Rep Awarded 2021-2022 Arts Appreciation Grant from Gulf Coast Community FoundationAsolo Repertory Theatre has received a $70,000 Arts Appreciation Grant from Gulf Coast Community Foundation that will be used to support the 2021-2022 season.