Become a part of the team making World Class Theatre, Made in Sarasota.
Now in its 61st season, Asolo Repertory Theatre is recognized as one of the premier professional theatres in America and one of the largest in the Southeastern United States. One of the few theatres in the nation that performs in true rotating repertory, Asolo Rep’s highly skilled acting company and extensive artisanship bring to life this unique performance method that gives audiences the opportunity to see multiple productions in the span of a few days. Asolo Rep presents up to 10 productions each season including contemporary and classic works and provocative musical theatre experiences. Asolo Rep is committed to expanding its reach into the community, furthering its collaboration with the best theatre artists working in the industry today and developing new artists through its affiliation with the FSU/Asolo Conservatory for Actor Training. Under the leadership of Producing Artistic Director Michael Donald Edwards and Managing Director Linda DiGabriele, Asolo Rep’s ambitious theatrical offerings and groundbreaking education and community programming engage audiences and ensure its lasting legacy for future generations.
Asolo Repertory Theatre is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All applicants will be reviewed without regard to race, age, religion, color, sex, veteran status, national origin, marital status, or sexual preference. Applications are only accepted through our hiring portal.
Now in its 61st season, Asolo Repertory Theatre is recognized as one of the premier professional theatres in America and one of the largest in the Southeastern United States. One of the few select theatres in the nation that performs in true rotating repertory, Asolo Rep’s highly skilled acting company and extensive artisanship bring to life this unique performance method that gives audiences the opportunity to see multiple productions in the span of a few days. Asolo Rep presents up to 10 productions each season including contemporary and classic works and provocative musical theatre experiences. A theatre district in and of itself, Asolo Rep is committed to expanding its reach into the community, furthering its collaboration with the best theatre artists working in the industry today and cultivating new artists through its affiliation with the FSU/Asolo Conservatory for Actor Training. Under the leadership of Producing Artistic Director Michael Donald Edwards and Managing Director Linda DiGabriele, Asolo Rep’s ambitious theatrical offerings and groundbreaking education and community programming engage audiences and ensure its lasting legacy for future generations.
The Vision and Mission
Vision Statement: Enrich lives through compelling theatrical experiences created in a collaborative and adventurous environment.
Mission Statement: Engage and inspire audiences with extraordinary theatrical experiences created with vision, passion and artistry and enhanced by deeply integrated education and community engagement programs.
Board of Directors and Budget
Asolo Rep has a dedicated and generous board of directors that supports the theatre with their wisdom, experience and resources. There are 55-60 board members who generally provide a significant portion of the theatre’s contributed income.
Asolo Rep’s budget for 2018-19 was $10.7M with contributed income of $3.6M. The 2019-2020 budget, significantly increased due to a higher amount of enhancement funding, is $12.7M with contributed income budgeted at $3,850,000. Asolo Rep’s endowment is currently in excess of $20M.
The Development Director is a key senior staff member who demonstrates a passionate commitment for establishing and meeting the contributed income goals that will assist the theatre in achieving its mission and objectives. The Development Director designs, manages and implements comprehensive strategies and programs to maximize philanthropic support for the theatre’s priorities and achieve Asolo Rep’s fundraising and engagement goals.
The Development Director coordinates all development functions for the organization, working in close alliance with Asolo Rep leadership and board committees, assembling and mentoring a development staff that strongly supports the fundraising objectives for the annual operational community income and the Capital and Endowment Campaign. A strong team player and strategic thinker with an intense work ethic, the Development Director is a trusted leader of the development team and is well-respected by Asolo Rep Board, staff and supporters.
Create and execute a Development Plan each season that will support the annual fund and campaign goals of the theatre. The plan identifies viable donors, sponsors, grant-makers, in-kind supporters and partners, fundraising events and the short term and long-term strategies for securing the necessary funds to support Asolo Rep and FSU/Asolo Conservatory programs.
Build and supervise a high performing team of fundraising professionals. Hire, manage, evaluate, develop, and terminate development staff as needed and as assigned. Actively encourage staff members' professional growth and participation in the life of the Theatre.
Establish departmental and individual annual performance goals, optimize and allocate resources, set strategies for the identification, cultivation and solicitation of each staff member’s donor portfolios, and assess annual performance.
Provide leadership to the Board in their fundraising work, transforming Board members from donors to fundraisers and building teams of development staff and Board members to achieve community income goals.
Create, monitor and manage an annual development budget. Supervise and approve all expenditures in the department. Ensure staff understands and works within approved budgets and budget policies. Adapt departmental plans and priorities to resource and operational challenges. Address budget variances as they occur; track income and expenses.
Keep meticulous donor profiles and track donor communications and meetings in Tessitura to support the moves management process and safeguard institutional memory of donor relationships. Personally become familiar with Tessitura, and ensure there is high proficiency with the program in the department. Oversee donor research.
Work respectfully and collaboratively with other Asolo Rep senior staff and their teams in all departments, including Artistic, Marketing, Production, Education/Engagement, Finance and Box Office, on a daily basis. Work closely with the marketing department to create a holistic view of marketing that includes development needs and provides mutual support for both departments.
Serve as staff liaison for several board development committees. Attend monthly meetings and provide reports for Executive and Nominating and Governance committees and the full Board. Work with and support Board members and committees on methodologies, resources, and tools for fundraising efforts, particularly for capital and endowment campaigns and special projects.
Serve as the lead point person on ongoing and future capital and endowment campaigns. Seek new sources of funding to support new institutional initiatives.
Maintain personal portfolio of major gift donors and negotiate gift agreements in collaboration with theatre’s legal counsel.
Maintain relationships and network with donors and prospects through visits, events, correspondence, and regular calls. Determine and fulfill donor and sponsor benefits throughout the season.
Become familiar and comply with all HR requirements in hiring, supervising and managing staff. Contribute to establishing an institutional culture of respect and ethical behavior. Foster partnership and collaboration internally and externally.
Supervise the preparation of timely, accurate, and relevant proposals, presentations, and other fundraising materials for cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship. Provide development data for marketing materials, grants and other reports or materials as needed.
Inspire engagement of Asolo Rep staff, artists, Board members, and outside supporters through professional, articulate, enthusiastic, and informed leadership. Demonstrate stewardship and serve as an effective ambassador to the local and national community.
Attend at least one performance of every Asolo Rep and FSU/Asolo Conservatory for Actor Training production.
Other duties as appropriate or assigned.
- Minimum seven years of development experience with at least four years in a management/leadership position.
- Proven success at organizing fundraising programs, meeting and exceeding revenue goals and soliciting and closing major gifts.
- Proven successful interactions with Boards and a diverse array of community stakeholders.
- Demonstrated success leading development teams and collaborating with other departments.
- Excellent computer/technology skills, especially in Outlook, Word and Excel, and preferably also in PowerPoint and social media platforms.
- Experience using a CRM database, preferably Tessitura or similar software.
- Experience in an arts environment preferred
- Effective communication with a broad spectrum of individuals.
- Excellent writing skills.
- Ability to prepare and analyze budgets and spreadsheet data.
- Highly organized and dedicated team player.
- Resilient, adaptable and collaborative.
- Passion for and understanding of theatre.
- Sense of humor and positive, enthusiastic attitude.
Minimum Qualifications: College or University degree in related field. Post-graduate level training, such as Master’s Degree, CFRE certification or other relevant education preferred.
Please send your resume to: [email protected]
This position oversees and performs all operational accounting, reconciles and maintains general ledger accuracy all the way through preparation of both management and GAAP financials, uses data processing tools to provide analysis of business data to support decision-making and prepares audit schedules and assists with the annual audit. This is an annual, exempt position that reports to the Director of Finance/HR.
Position Minimum Requirements:
Bachelors in Business or Accounting
Five (5) years work experience in a professional accounting environment with general ledger responsibilities
Advanced Excel experience.
Foundations & Major Gifts Associate
Asolo Rep is seeking a Foundations & Major Gifts Associate to work with a dynamic team to achieve Asolo Rep’s Community Income goals by securing of funding from foundations, government, and other granting sources, as well as from individuals giving at the major donor level. This position will also play a key role in the $21 million Staging Our Future Capital & Endowment Campaign.
Asolo Rep’s annual fund raises approximately $3.8 million each year in gifts from individuals, foundations, corporations, and special events. The Foundations & Major Gifts Associate will be responsible for maintaining the organization’s grant calendar, writing grants and interim and final reports, and researching new opportunities for funding, particularly for Education & Engagement programs that will be expanding in the coming seasons. In addition, they will partner with the Development Director for soliciting, tracking, and stewarding cumulative gifts of $5,000+ from individuals through the different sub-campaigns of Directors’ Society, Co-Producers, Artistic Excellence Society, and Education & Engagement. This position also works closely with the Fellowships & Endowment Associate to secure Student Fellowships for the FSU/Asolo Conservatory and gifts to Asolo Rep’s $22 million endowment.
The $21 million Staging Our Future Capital & Endowment Campaign has raised $8 million to date which has funded capital improvements in its mainstage theatre, The Harold and Esther Mertz Theatre; the acquisition and renovation of the Herman and Sharon Frankel Asolo Rep Annex; and the acquisition of properties adjacent to the Robert and Beverly Koski Center. Going forward, the Campaign is raising funds to renovate the existing buildings on the properties adjacent to the Koski Center, and to build new construction that will connect these buildings and create a state-of-the-art production facility that houses two rehearsal halls, breakout rehearsal spaces, costume shop facilities, meeting spaces, and media production facilities. In addition to enhancing Asolo Rep’s production capabilities, the expanded Center will be instrumental in the expansion of the company’s Education & Engagement programs and will create new revenue streams further enhancing the organization’s financial stability. The Campaign goal also includes a $5 million endowment to ensure the funding for the additional costs of maintaining this new property.
The Foundations & Major Gifts Associate will play a key role in the Campaign, working with the Development Director, other staff, and executive staff, in seeking opportunities to fund the campaign, tracking current applications for support, reporting for grants received, individual gift solicitation, prospect cultivation and research, and campaign operations.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Ensure seamless execution of the organization’s annual institutional giving plan, which forecasts income from foundations, corporate foundations, and government in support of Asolo Rep’s operations, programs and education initiatives in partnership with Development Director and related staff
- Write and coordinate funding proposals, follow up correspondence, gift acknowledgements, interim and final reports, and invitations to attend funded programs in collaboration with related staff
- Conduct prospect research to identify potential new funding sources
- Manage annual grants calendar to ensure compliance with proposal and reporting deadlines
- Maintain knowledge of a wide variety of foundation and government grant guidelines and identify best fits for funding with Asolo Rep’s mission, activities and special initiatives
- Develop and nurture relationships with foundation and government representatives in partnership with Development Director and Board
- Ensure proper donor recognition on all print and online promotional materials and a/v presentations
- Assist in preparation of proposal project budgets
- Track funds received against annual budget income goals
- Maintain contact information and donor and prospect histories in Tessitura database
- Attend and assist with development events and projects as needed
- Attend at least one performance of every Asolo Rep production
Major Gifts Responsibilities:
- Steward relationships with members of Asolo Rep’s different donor groups, with a primary focus on donors giving at the major donor level, in partnership with executive and development staff and board members
- Identify opportunities to engage major donors through various performances and behind the scenes activities in order to develop strong donor relationships for the organization
- Cultivate major donors and prospects encouraging ongoing gifts, increased gifts and securing new gifts
- Solicit major gifts independently and as part of a team
- Execute day-to-day administrative responsibilities for major donor activities (tracking, database maintenance, proofing materials and programs/playbills, etc.)
- Facilitate annual major giving donor renewal process, follow up, and tracking
- Collaborate and coordinate with Fellowships/Endowment Associate, to encourage donors to diversify their areas of giving for the Annual Fund, and to make gifts for the Endowment and Capital Campaigns
- Manage and coordinate timely and accurate submission and editing of development content for the Season Program Book, Show Playbills, Season Brochure, website and A/V presentations and promotional materials for donor-supported programs, events and activities
- Oversee creation and distribution of print and online donor solicitation materials
- In collaboration with Development Data Associate, ensure accurate data entry, contact management, donor research, and financial recordkeeping, timely gift acknowledgement and renewal correspondence, using discretion with confidential information
- In collaboration with Development Data Associate, track funds raised from major gifts against annual budget income goals
- Compile and maintain research of major donors and prospects for distribution to key staff and board members
- Assist donors with ticket requests
- Schedule, coordinate and take minutes at major donor committee meetings
- In collaboration with Special Events Manager and Individual Giving Associate, organize specific events for donors and for prospects throughout the season and manage RSVPs as assigned
Staging Our Future Campaign Responsibilities:
- Research capital grant funding opportunities
- Work with the Development Director on writing capital grant funding requests
- Write interim and final reports for grants awarded
- Attend performances throughout the season, as assigned, where Campaign materials will be shared with Asolo Rep audiences
- Assist Development Director and Campaign Staff and Board Committee in contact management
- Compile research and cultivation profiles for Campaign prospects
- Meet with Campaign prospects as assigned to share details of the Campaign, lead tours, and solicit gifts when required
- Assist the Development Director and Fellowship & Endowment Associate in tracking progress of the Campaign
- Assist in preparation of reporting materials for monthly Committee meetings
- Attend performances throughout the season, as assigned, where Campaign materials will be shared with Asolo Rep audiences
The ideal candidate will have three to five years of Development experience, including experience working on a successful multi-million dollar capital campaign. Preference will be given to candidates who have superior writing skills, an outgoing/friendly personality, ability to manage multiple projects with competing deadlines, exhibit strength under pressure, and are able to work with multiple personality types. Preferred skills include fundraising for the arts in a challenging environment and knowledge of and experience with the Tessitura database software. Additional hours at evening and weekend events and performances are required.
Asolo Rep intends to fill this position as soon as possible and will accept applications until the position is filled. Preference will be given to qualified candidates who are able to start work on or before October 21, 2019.
About Asolo Rep
Asolo Rep is a major force in Sarasota’s rich arts scene, whose quality and depth rivals some of the largest urban centers in the country. Asolo Rep is annually the creative home of more than 250 artists, technical craftsmen, and administrative staff. Its talented and accomplished resident acting company is complemented by top-flight, award-winning directors, designers, and guest artists who come to Sarasota from around the country and around the world.
Under the dynamic leadership of Producing Artistic Director Michael Donald Edwards and Managing Director Linda DiGabriele, over 100,000 patrons are drawn each year to the theatre’s rotating repertory season. In its role as the largest professional not-for-profit theatre in the U.S. south of Atlanta, Asolo
Rep serves as a springboard for successful productions to travel to Broadway and other regional theatres throughout the country.
Asolo Rep is also proud to have an ongoing partnership with the FSU/Asolo Conservatory for Actor Training, ranked among the top ten actor training programs in the country. Conservatory students undergo a rigorous three-year Master of Fine Arts program, culminating with the third-year students’ inclusion as part of Asolo Rep’s mainstage company. This unique collaboration has proven to be a successful formula for producing the highest quality professional theatre while providing first-rate training for America’s next generation of actors.
Whether staging a new work or re-envisioning a classic, Asolo Rep creates theatre that consistently surprises, entertains, challenges and inspires its audiences by inviting them to take part in shared acts of imagination. With its ambitious theatrical offerings and ground-breaking education, outreach and audience development programming, Asolo Rep is more vibrant and its work more relevant than ever before. A theatre district in and of itself, Asolo Rep exists to present a diverse mix of theatrical work of the highest artistic standards and enthusiastically engage its audiences, continually ensuring its lasting legacy for future generations.
Asolo Repertory Theatre is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All applicants will be reviewed without regard to race, age, religion, color, sex, veteran status, national origin, marital status, or sexual preference.Applications are only accepted through our hiring portal. Phone calls and email inquiries are discouraged.
Special Events Assistant
Asolo Repertory Theatre in Sarasota, FL (LORT B Mainstage; LORT D Second Stage) is seeking an assistant to the Manager of Special Events for the 2019/20 season. This position is responsible for helping to plan and coordinate the theatre’s annual fundraising and special events. Events include: Annual Gala, Starry Night Dinner Series, Director’s Take Luncheon, Designer Brunches, Opening Night parties, corporate events, cultivation cocktail parties, luncheons, staff/cast parties and more.
Essential Job Functions:
- Administration, coordination and oversight of event/venue set-up and strike, catering, equipment arrangements (including audio-visual, permits, entertainment, security, parking)
- Attend committee meetings and take minutes as needed
- Create meeting agendas and event schedules
- Solicit items for silent/live auction and raffles and in-kind donations
- Track RSVPs, process payments, and generate acknowledgement letters
- Maintain information about event attendees, sponsors, in-kind donors in Tessitura
- Generate materials related to registration/check-in (guest list, name tags, escort cards)
- Assist with the development of all event-related promotional materials including invitations, programs, signage, auction catalogs, tribute books (collecting logos, photos, bios etc)
- Execute all invitation mailings and e-blasts
- Optimize, maintain and analyze the Special Events department’s social media platforms (Facebook, Twitter and Instagram) and website pages
- Coordinate the preparation of all post-event correspondence including thank you notes to sponsors, attendees, donors, volunteers and committee members.
- Closely interact with a spectrum of individuals including: internal staff, vendors, caterers, volunteers, prospects, donors, committee members, and Board Members
- Use discretion with confidential information
- Any other duties as required by the Special Events Manager
- College degree in a related field with high academic achievement
- Recent experience in providing administrative support to professional staff
- Excellent organizational skills; commitment to accuracy and attention to detail
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Extremely polished and professional demeanor
- Ability to plan, prioritize multiple projects/duties when faced with interruptions, fluctuating workload, and conflicting deadlines, and complete them in a timely manner.
- Ability to problem solve; be self-disciplined and work independently
- Ability to remain calm under pressure with a positive attitude
- Pursuing a future career in special events
- Proficiency using the Internet, Microsoft Office (Word, PowerPoint, and Excel) and social media promotions is required. Knowledge of Tessitura database and design software, i.e. Adobe InDesign, Photoshop, and Illustrator a plus
- Access to a car as frequent local travel is required
- Ability to lift at least 25 pounds
- Must be flexible in working long hours, nights and weekends
Pay is commensurate with experience. This position is eligible to participate in employee insurances, paid time off, and pension plan. This is a seasonal position that begins as soon as possible and runs until June 15, 2020.