Asolo Rep Inclusion, Diversity, Equity, and Access Commitment Statement
Asolo Rep is committed to becoming a more inclusive, diverse, and anti-racist institution at all levels. In order to intentionally address injustice and racism, we believe theatre must become a leading force in telling the stories of our time to inform and influence a better future. We will reflect upon our past, investigate our current course of action, and develop a responsive and sustainable plan to break down barriers to access and challenge racism and bias within our institution and our community.
In the Summer of 2020, Asolo Rep received a call-to-action letter from five Black students of the FSU/Asolo Conservatory for Actor Training, as well as the We See You White American Theater open letter and demands. These documents have been critical in informing our conversations and shaping our actions. Our commitment to anti-racism, inclusion, diversity, equity, and access requires that we continue to actively listen, seek learning opportunities, create space for direct and open discourse, and strive to meet people where they are - taking time to effect lasting change together.
To that end, Asolo Rep is currently:
- Forming an Inclusion, Diversity, Equity & Access (IDEA) Team with dedicated financial resources to strategically align anti-racism, inclusion, diversity, equity, and access as institutional core values
- Providing anti-racist and IDEA training with trained facilitators for all full-time staff, apprentices/fellows, and board
- Deepening our commitment to lifting our BIPOC staff, board, and artists’ voices
- Supporting, advocating, and providing resources to allow BIPOC, LGBTQIA+, disabled, and neuro-divergent artists to realize their unique vision
- Examining internal processes with an IDEA lens (including but not limited to BIPOC, LGBTQIA+, neuro-divergent, and persons with disabilities) to recruit, hire, and retain our staff, artists, and craftspeople
- Redefining the FSU/Asolo Conservatory graduate student / patron relationship following an extensive review and reimagining process
This is a living document and will continue to be developed as we engage in and learn from this all-important work.