Become a part of the team making World Class Theatre, Made in Sarasota.
Dramaturg & Literary Manager
Asolo Repertory Theatre in Sarasota, Florida (LORT B Mainstage; LORT D Second Stage) is seeking a dynamic Dramaturg & Literary Manager to oversee all aspects of the theatre’s Literary Office, with a focus on production dramaturgy, public programming, and new play development.
The Dramaturg serves as a key member of the Artistic Team, participating in season selection and curating public programming. Responsibilities include managing and executing all dramaturgical and literary functions for the theatre, including: writing/editing playbill content, shepherding new play development efforts, providing dramaturgical research for productions, networking with literary agents and cultivating playwrights, acquiring and evaluating new scripts, and mentoring a full time Dramaturgy Apprentice.
Ideal candidates will be early or mid-career theatre professionals and will demonstrate a serious commitment to a career in dramaturgy and/or literary management. Master’s degree in Dramaturgy, Theatre History, or a related field is required. Candidates must also possess excellent research, writing, analytical, and interpersonal communication skills in tandem with strong computer and organizational skills.
This is a full-time position with an approximate start date of July, 2019. Competitive salary/benefits. Please submit resume, cover letter, references and writing sample(s) (one script evaluation and one playbill article, not more than 5 pages total) through our online application portal. Applications will be accepted through April 1, 2019. E.O.E. All applicants reviewed without regard to race, age, religion, color, sex, veteran status, national origin, marital status, or sexual preference. No phone calls, please.
Position: Education & Engagement Director
Department: Education & Community Engagement
Reports To: Managing Director
Classification: Full time, Annual, Exempt
Date Prepared: March 14, 2019
By: Linda DiGabriele
General Summary: Lead the strategic development of all Education & Community Engagement functions and manage the implementation of its programs. Serve as a member of the Senior Team.
- Education Specialist
- Community Engagement Specialist
- Local Teaching Artists/Contract Employees
- Apprentice (s)
Essential Job Functions:
- Establish strategic direction for all educational and community engagement programming, which supports the organization’s mission, cultivates future audiences, incorporates current trends/research, and serves the community as a whole.
- Supervise implementation of all departmental programs (including Student Matinees, School Tour, Kaleidoscope, Faces of Change, Documentary Theatre Residencies, Youth and Family programming, IllumiNation etc.).
- Develop new and dynamic programming in support of the artistic mission and in alignment with the needs of the community.
- Develop, lead and mentor a proficient and committed professional staff in a coordinated effort to produce impactful programming in an efficient and effective manner.
- Explore opportunities for youth and family summer programming.
- Engage with artistic personnel to ensure programs closely align with artistic goals.
- Develop and supervise the departmental budget. Devise most effective use of personnel and material resources. Review budget monthly, adjusting forecasts, approving invoices and maintaining records.
- Develop marketing/PR plan for education programs in partnership with marketing department.
- Foster an inclusive network of community partner organizations and area schools.
- Supervise the creation and distribution of all community and education program publications and promotional materials.
- Manage the Career Development Program. Guide recruitment and hiring process as well as educational programming for participants.
- Assist in grant writing, reporting, and research in partnership with development department.
- Attend Senior Team and Board meetings, actively engaging with other management personnel and board members.
- Participate in strategic planning in order to meet the expanding needs of a growing institution. Ensure that Equity, Diversity and Inclusion is a core factor in developing the work of Education and Community Engagement.
- Serve as spokesperson at Asolo Rep and community events, interfacing with donors and community members.
- Liaise with other cultural institutions in area and region, as well as national organizations, to promote programs and collaborations as well as for professional development.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Experience in management, theatre arts and teaching
- Experience in community engagement and educational program implementation and evaluation
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills to include public speaking and writing
- Experience in developing and monitoring a departmental budget
- Highly organized, self-motivated and flexible
- Proficiency in MS Office
- Night and weekend work often required
Minimum Education/Experience Required:
- Bachelor’s degree from accredited university and a minimum of 6 years work experience in the field.